Merry Meet!

Welcome to Mama Witch's Blog.

For more from Arietta, aka Mama Witch, check out her other blog: http://small-songs.blogspot.co.uk/
or follow her on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Arietta.smallsongs

Friday 5 November 2010

The Final Countdown

Mama & Bean (30th October 2010 - 39weeks)
Apologies for the brief gap in communications but there hasn't been much to report for the last few weeks, just the usual day to day stuff, like every other parent (and teacher) at my daughters school commenting on my size ( this is also often accompanied by the seemingly obligatory exclamation of "Haven't you had that baby yet?!" or the alternative "Are you sure it's not twins?!" ) and daily phone calls from family members eager for news of a new arrival :o)

Since the birth prep class I have had a couple of uneventful check ups with my midwife and one home visit, on the 25th October, from both my midwife and also the Supervisor of Midwives who has given me the go ahead and signed me off on my homebirth - yay! I have been provided with my very own bio hazard bucket for the placenta as I have made it quite clear that I intend to keep it. I have also been entrusted with some vials of oxytocin (which have pride of place in our refrigerator) and some disposable and absorbent "messy mats" for use during delivery. It's all soooo glamorous!

I hadn't seen my midwife since the home visit so I called the surgery to make an appointment as the days and weeks seemed to be passing faster and faster, I was told by the receptionist that the midwife was fully booked until the 10th of November (fat lot of good that would have be, I'm due on the 7th!) but I eventually managed to get an appointment with another midwife (not my regular one) today. it turned out ok though as it was the same midwife who had done my Birth Reflections counseling so at least she knew my background.

The midwife assured me that everything is progressing well (blood pressure normal, pee test normal etc) and Bean is perfectly placed for an imminent delivery.  Because everything seemed to be going so well she then offered me a stretch and sweep whilst I was there which I accepted and I was quite surprised to have her tell me that I had not only lost my mucus plug without noticing a show but I was also 2cm dilated already !!!!

I have been booked in for another sweep on Sunday ( my due date ) but that will be performed at the maternity hospital ( I hope that the midwife is right though as she doesn't think I'll last that long anyway ). They have also booked my induction for 40weeks + 13days and again we are hoping it wont be necessary.

So... 2 days to go until my due date... The final countdown has really begun now :o)

1 comment:

Morag said...

"They have also booked my induction for 40weeks + 13days and again we are hoping it wont be necessary."

To be fair, if all is fine with you and bean, and you are happy to continue with things as they are, I'd request regular monitoring rather than an induction. Inductions for the sake of inductions carry their own risks especially when the conception or gestation date has been quibbled along the way of the way of the pregnancy.

There is a huge fallacy with the calculation of estimated due dates based on Naegele's Rule which was originally based on a theory by Harmanni Boerhaave, a botanist who in 1744 came up with a method of calculating the EDD based upon evidence in the Bible that human gestation lasts approximately 10 lunar months. In 1812, Franz Naegele, a German obstetrician publicized this and since then it has become the written law in calculating the due date. It would be fine if there wasn't one glaring flaw in Naegele's rule.
He was an Obstictrician NOT an astronomer. The bible would have used lunar (or synodic) months. Which is actually 29.53 days. This makes 10 lunar months roughly 295 days, a full 15 days longer than the 280 days gestation, approximately 41+1 weeks which also happens to be the average time women naturally gestate in their first pregnancies if not induced. In fact, if left alone, 50-80% of mothers will gestate beyond 40 weeks. It makes you wonder if perhaps maybe 40 weeks is "early" not term.

Only YOU can consent to any procedures done on you. It is unlikely that you will go to 40+13 anyway, but I often feel that medical professionals saying these things put undue stress on a woman. If you and your baby remain healthy, there is no need to induce labour especially if there has always been a question mark hanging over conception or gestation dates.